08 February 2011

Large Families for Dummies

Sometimes, on really bitter cold days here in Chicagoland, I lose myself in videos like this one: my daughter and our little friend Charlie shucking corn two summers ago in northern Michigan. The video makes me remember, in a visceral way, that summer is coming and that summer is good.  (And it makes me miss fresh corn on the cob.)


What are your favorite things about summer? (She asks while looking at the stunning winter scene outside of the kitchen window -- a zebra pattern of shadow and bright light reflecting off of the snow, squirrels running fast along the top of the fence, a woodpecker on the bird feeder, blue sky.) I like rainstorms, chatting with other parents at baseball and softball and lacrosse games, and watching my kids jump around in the sprinkler. And you? 


Alas, despite the snowdrifts outside that rival the size of the sand dunes we'll run up in July, it's time to plan the summer. I know, I know some of us don't even have our Christmas wreaths off our front doors yet but it's time. Over the past few weeks, I've sat with camp brochures, calendars and park district bulletins and have created a multicolored spreadsheet detailing our summer plans. 


Planning a summer schedule, along with keeping up with the laundry, keeping the fridge stocked with milk and calling each kid by the right name when one is in a hurry or exasperated -- which is to say, often -- is one of those things that should be included in the "Large Families for Dummies" book. A book, sadly, that I don't think exists and I certainly didn't read before having four kids.


In the course of this summer scheduling process, I discovered a few camps that might be of special interest to families who have children who were adopted. This calendar from Adoptive Families magazine includes programs offered everywhere from Maine to Vietnam. This listing is quite comprehensive, too, and provides details on camps such as religious ones, programs for kids with special needs and arts camps. 


Oops. Got to go - just got an email from a camp reminding me that the "early bird" registration special expires on Valentine's Day.  Time to send in my forms.  

1 comment:

Michelle said...

you are such a great planner! i keep putting off registering for summer plans for the kids. really gotta get going on that!