09 April 2011

It's the Weekend, Weekend

Okay, quick - what are your family's favorite movies?

Years ago, when my four kids were six years old and younger, Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and educational fare such as Bill Nye the Science Guy made for great movie nightsFast forward (pun intended) a few years and the videos and DVDs coming home from the library or Target's sale shelves were Hannah Montana, Full House, and School of Rock. Now, though, things are even trickier. With a high schooler who loves the TV show Lost, the Bourne movies and has recently gone on a thriller jag, a middle schooler who loves epic battle scenes (think Gladiator), and two elementary school-aged daughters who love Glee and Tangled, you'll understand why we're in trouble over here when it comes time for the six of us to watch a movie. Never mind that I love old musicals - An American in Paris, Take Me Out to the Ballgame, High Society, On the Town. Gene Kelley: deep sigh. (Have you ever seen him dance with Tom and Jerry, by the way?  'Cause he did!)

I explored the trouble with family movie nights - gave a long list of possible "feature presentations" - in the most recent issue of "Love You More" news.  Also included, an excerpt from my memoir, "Love You More: The Divine Surprise of Adopting My Daughter." "Love You More" news is a place where I'm working on ideas for what I hope will be my next book, on creating a happy, unique family culture. So send all ideas and responses, please. I keep them all, mull over them, and like to be inspired and challenged as a non-Tiger mom in all my good-enoughness.

If you'd like to subscribe to the newsletter, see the form on this page or shoot me an email at jen AT loveyoumorebook DOT com.

Enjoy movie night!

1 comment:

Suki said...

The six of you can watch Napoleon Dynamite! (I heart this movie so.)